Harry Lee Junior program
We have a long-standing tradition of supporting junior development and getting kids on bikes at the Hellyer County Park Velodrome. For 2016 we are pleased to announce the Harry Lee Junior program in honor of young Harry who was a vibrant part of the junior scene here.
The program has two training days plus racing for two different age categories at our weekly Wednesday Night Racing series.
* Sunday training sessions: Juniors age 9-18
* Tuesday afternoons: Juniors age 14-18 and Espoirs (seniors 19 – 22)
Sunday training sessions – Afternoons 1pm to 4pm
Sunday sessions are suitable for riders 10-18 and will be split into ability groups offering training suitable for beginners up to experienced juniors preparing for the national track championships. These will be a mixture of track skills and track conditioning work.
May 1st, 15th, 29th
June 5th, 12th (District Championships)
July 3rd, 10th, 31st
August 7th, 21st
Tuesday training sessions – Afternoons 4pm to 6.30pm
Which are suitable for riders 14-23 (younger riders may be admitted with prior consent from Coach Lanier). These are also proper training workouts with a mixture of skills and conditioning work.
Make sure to be on-time and/or early especially if renting bikes/equipment. Late riders may be turned away if they miss necessary instructions at the beginning of the session.
- Children must be able to listen to, and respond to instructions from the coaches. This is very important for safety reasons.
- Children should be tall enough to fit bikes (inseam of 21 inches, height 56 inches).
- Parent and Children must sign a waiver to ride on the track.
What to Bring:
- Helmet (free rentals available)
- Comfortable exercise clothing
- Closed-toe shoes. We recommend athletic shoes or cycling specific shoes.
- Snacks, water and good attitude
- If your child uses a clipless pedal/cleat system, bring the shoes and pedals with you. We can put your pedals on a rental bike.
- Fixed gear bicycle, if you have one.
Want to help?
- Please bring kids to the sessions. Communicate about the program to your friends, neighbors, and family.
- Volunteer during the session to ring bells, turn lap cards, etc…
- Bring prizes/treats for the kids and the coaches.
- Donate prizes or trophies at the District Championships in September.
Coach Lanier email@example.com
Coach Povey firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach Andrew Lanier: Is a Hellyer junior program stalwart having been involved now for over 15 years, an experienced, respected and knowledgeable coach who has been instrumental in the performances of many of Hellyers outstanding juniors champions. We are lucky to have Coach Andrew leading our program.
Coach Lee Povey: Lee is a USA cycling level 3 coach and a British cycling level 2 coach. He has coached a multitude of District, National and World Junior champions over the past 7 years. He has been both a European and British champion and has over 27 years of racing experience. He runs the Performance Cycle Coaching race team and still races in track sprint events himself. For more information on Lee please visit his website
Coaches Andrew and Lee are being assisted by new coaches Ray Gildea and Christian Humbert this year. Both are regular racers and Hellyer with coach Ray also a national masters champion and regular competitor at the world masters championships. We look forward to the knowledge and energy these two new coaches can add to our program.
Hellyer Velodrome gives back to bicycling and the community with a Junior/Espoirs Development program. We give volunteer guidance, training, and mentorship at the Hellyer Park Velodrome in San Jose, California. The program gives 14-22 year old future champions a safe environment to grow socially, mentally, physically, and competitively with the emphasis on sportsmanship and respect. Winning is not the first priority, but how to win and lose graciously is.
Hellyer Velodrome Junior/Espoirs Development program welcomes all young men and women REGARDLESS OF CLUB AFFILIATION. In its first year, 1998, we won all the Gold Medals at the Northern California Junior State Velodrome Championships! We have continued to make champions on the bicycle and in life.
We look forward to creating the next wave of Hellyer champions and offering a fun and safe environment for juniors to thrive in.
Congratulations to our 2015 Junior Track Champions
11-12 B: Cooper Downing
13-14 G: Renee Miller | B: Kaito Clarke
15-16 G: Lauren Wolfe | B: Zachary Gottesman
17-18 G: Kristin Wolfe | B: Zach McClendon
omnium results »