5th Annual Hellyer Women’s Race Training Series
March 3rd, April 7 and May 12, 2013
The 5th annual Hellyer Women’s Race Training Series is designed to introduce women to racing on the track in a fun, non-intimidating environment. The sessions are conducted by experienced women track racers who know their stuff!
If you are a climber, and find yourself getting dropped or in difficulty on flatter sections of a race or a ride, learning to ride the track will help you get a feel for riding at a high tempo. If you ride with a group, track cycling will also help you develop skills of riding in a pack, and it will also teach you good drafting skills and sprinting skills.
The 2013 Hellyer Women’s Race Training Series sessions are broken in to 3 skill-specific training modules so you can learn different things in each session and get a “taste” of all the track has to offer women!
2013 Session Dates:
· Sunday March 3 1-5p – Intro to Individual Time Trials* -Learn how to compete against the clock, record the fastest time over the specified distance from a standing start. Individual pursuit, 500 meter, Team pursuit and Team sprint.
· Sunday April 7 – 1-5p – Intro to Mass Starts* – Learn the skills and tactics needed to compete in mass start track races. Improve and build your road race handling. We’ll work on racing drills to improve comfort, speed and safety while racing in a pack.
· Sunday May 12 1-5p –Intro to Sprinting* – This session will focus on helping you learn and improve your sprint skills. We’ll teach you sprinting fundamentals, strategy & tactics. Practice events may include Team sprint, 200 TT, match, scratch, chariot, and keirin sprinting.
All sessions cover safety, fixed gear riding/racing, bike handling, race strategy, and track-specific skills. Rental track bikes are available. Bring your team!
· Get a “taste” of the diverse disciplines available to women track cyclists
· Each sessions focuses on a specific race-type
· Perfect for those who currently race on the road but have not completed the requisite 3 Saturdays
· Women who have always wanted to learn and try track cycling are also welcome.
$45.00 per session (incl. NCVA fee). $120 if registering for all 3 ($15 discount!). Part of the proceeds go toward sponsorship of the women’s racing prize purses at the 2013 Hellyer Velodrome Challenge (June 28 and 29).
*Session focus areas are subject to change. Always check the www.ridethetrack.com calendar for updates. Rain or wet track may cancel sessions. Sorry – no refunds due to fundraiser.
Limit 20 per session!